First, to get the app news out of the way, I finished and submitted our next app update to Apple on Friday evening so hopefully that will be available for download early next week. We added 8 new recipes into the app with the update and added our new featured blogger Vanessa Barajas of Clean Eating With a Dirty Mind. You can see which recipes were added at the bottom of this page. We also fixed a few issues that some savvy app users discovered (you can see those here). Remember, these updates are free of charge if you already own the app.
Now onto the recipe... Cherries are everywhere in the markets here now and we absolutely love them. Can't say I love pitting them, but it goes with the territory I guess. This recipe is a simple and rustic upside down kind of cherry pie. I love the term rustic because it implies that you don't have to spend hours forming it to look elegant, it just kind of looks beautiful from the lack of fussiness.
This galette only needs maybe 15 minutes of hands on time and the dough can be made a day ahead of time, so it's a wonderful one to wow guests. Just take the dough out, flatten, put the cherries in the middle, form a circle around the cherries and bake for 35 min. Voila! Serve with a bit of whipped coconut cream or coconut ice cream and you have a lovely dessert.
Rustic Cherry Galette
Prep time: 15 min Total time: 2 hrs
Serves: 6 - 8
For the crust:
3 cups (360 g) Almond Flour
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) Salt
½ cup (120 g) Butter, diced and kept cold
1 tsp (5 mL) Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Filling:
2 cups (350 g) Cherries, pitted (if frozen, thawed and drained)
½ tsp (2.5 mL) Almond Extract
For the “garnish”:
2 tbs (20 g) Sliced Almonds
1. Add all dry crust ingredients to the food processor and pulse 1-2 times.
2. Add diced butter and pulse until the butter is pea-sized.
3. With the processor running, add the wet crust ingredients and mix until they come together.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic or a kitchen towel and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (up to 24 hours).
5. Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 375° F (191° C). Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Toss the cherries with the almond extract in a bowl and set aside.
7. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it from the plastic/towel, and place directly on the parchment covered baking sheet.
8. Using your hands, flatten the dough into a circle shape. The dough should be around 1/4-1/2 inch (6-13 mm) thick and the circle approximately 12-14 inches (30-35 cm) wide.
9. Place the cherry mixture in the middle of the circle, leaving a 2 inch (5 cm) border.
10. Fold the outside border up around the edge of the cherry mixture. Just kind of push it around with your hands to where you want it to go as it won't be as pliable as a gluten-flour dough.
11. Press the sliced almonds into the crust around the top in a pleasing manner.
12. Bake for approximately 35 minutes until golden brown.
13. To remove from the pan, pick the entire sheet of parchment paper up with the galette still on it. Then gently side the galette off to your serving dish of choice. Though that's a great thing about it being rustic - serve it right off of the pan and no one cares.
Enjoy and have a great week everyone!